In Genoa partially demolished road bridge Morandi, which killed 43 people as a result of its destruction on 14 August 2018.
About it reports The Local.
Experts called for the urgent demolition of the bridge in August, warning that the supports weaken and are at high risk of fracture, but the work was repeatedly postponed. Initially it was assumed that the bridge may be demolished until the end of September, and then the mayor announced that work will begin in November.
The cost of demolition and clearing the site estimated at 19 million euros. Work began to demolish the building under the Western part of the bridge that is still standing. Also, next Thursday is the deadline within which the owners of 266 homes can sell your property in the area under the bridge to get compensation.
The construction of the new bridge is scheduled to be completed in 12 months and it will cost 202 million euros. The mayor of Genoa Marco Bucci said last week that the city will be a new bridge for Christmas next year. But with the beginning of works is planned for March 2019 is unlikely. Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said this week that the new bridge will open in 2020.
We will remind, on August 14 in the Italian city of Genoa the bridge collapsed, the latest data showed about 38 dead. It was initially reported that the cause of the collapse could be a weakening of the supporting structures. Later, the Prosecutor Francesco Gozzi stated that the cause of the tragedy was human error.