Political scientists never tire of repeating that the Church conflict can cause civil strife in our country. This will play into the hands of Poroshenko and his hard-line rhetoric and weaken competitors of the incumbent. In the near future the Ecumenical Patriarchate will convene the Unification Council, which will build a Church called “the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.” This Church will receive the Tomos of autocephaly (certificate of independence) from Constantinople and is the only canonical Church in the state. At the same time, the Supreme court of Ukraine to cancel the request, according to the Ecumenical Patriarchate on the granting of the Tomos. The highest judicial body of Ukraine will consider three cases with the requirement to cancel the decision of Parliament on 19 April “On the support of the President of Ukraine to the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew on the granting of the Tomos of autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.” About why Ukrainian politicians went to the violation of the 35th article of the Constitution, which States that the Church and religious organizations of the country separated from the state and no religion may be recognized by the state as mandatory, the correspondent of ГолосUA the Director of the Ukrainian politicalcultural group Dmitry Razumkov.
– Dmitry, why our government is interfering in Church Affairs, in violation of the 35th article of the Constitution?
– Actually the situation is more than versatile. Despite the fact that under the Constitution the separation of Church and state, but in fact throughout the election campaigns for many years politicians used the Church for their own purposes. It’s sad. And regardless of who is what religion, what religion supports, however, all tried, directly or indirectly, with the use of various technologies, to bring the Church to their side – Moscow Patriarchate, Kiev Patriarchate, the autocephaly of any Church, including other religions. In the history of this already, we are witnessing today, and unfortunately, this process will continue.
– What is different about today’s process?
– Today this process it was given a slightly different color – more global, because Thomas really extraordinary. In fairness I want to say that no secular party of Ukraine the event was impossible. That is, had the participation of authorities of the President and Parliament, but it would have been nice if today a number of politicians did not want to raise this issue himself in the flag and use it to improve their ratings. Yes, probably, done a good deed. That’s good. I don’t mind if Ukraine would be the local Church along with all the others. I don’t understand the wording that there is a unified Ukrainian Church, which many clergy agree.
– Why the Church cannot be United?
– United Orthodox Church is the wrong wording. The Church cannot be United, it can be local. But at the moment we see, by and large, is autocephaly, this is the Moscow Patriarchate and the Kyiv Patriarchate. If some of them do not want to go to the local Church, they have that right – in the same way as the bulk of ownership of which are the Church, you have that right. And in any case, you cannot use this in order to gain some advantage or even half a percent of the property. There is no certainty that all the representatives of the Kyivan Patriarchate will pass in Kiev the local Church. It is necessary that this transition was calm by the will of the community.
– If it will help the candidates to gain electoral votes?
– Yes, to a certain extent, if we are talking about the President. Moreover, it is one of the key message – “Faith. Language. Army.” Given the fact that Poroshenko is moving this topic as one of their message, we understand that this will add him votes. At the moment we are talking about the historical moment of getting Thomas. This topic will certainly be used by the technologists of the presidential Administration and in the electoral plan to Wiimotes to the maximum. On the other hand, we do not know how much this will really add a cent, because phonemes receiving the Tomos, we see the deterioration of the economic situation in the state. That is, if the factors that will add him the votes, and there are factors that will reduce his rating.
– Some of the faithful is the electorate of the incumbent President?
Orthodox believers are mostly the electorate of Poroshenko. They are representatives of Western Ukraine, representatives of Central Ukraine. This is largely the parishioners of the Kiev Patriarchate and Autocephalous Church. Besides the fact that these churches received the Tomos from the primates of the two churches were removed the anathema of course, the maximum they will support the President. We see this in the rhetoric of those priests. Accordingly, the congregation will largely share their opinion. Therefore, in this respect, the growth of electoral support will be.
Other policies that will also be used because to move on from that, exactly the same as from the topic of language, themes of war – will not work. But globally to pedal this topic, they will not, because they will play into the hands of the incumbent President. From a technological point of view, it is wrong.